Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Things to Be Happy About, Vol. 5

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.
-- Albert Camus

This is going to be brief. I'm having a very difficult time personally right now, and just when things seemed to be looking up a little, I got blindsided by something else. I do think it's important to still try to focus on the little things and remember that things were not, and won't always be, as bad as I feel like they are right now.

I would like to say, also, a very heartfelt thanks to my "invisible" friends, who have surprised me with their kindness, support, and generosity over the past several days. I'm not surprised that they are kind, supportive, and generous - I've seen them show it over and over again - but I am surprised that that their kindness, support, and generosity were so freely extended to me. (You may have heard that I have a hard time making friends and tend to be insecure.) I really can't tell all of you what it means to me, but I thank you.

So, here's this week's list:

1. when you all of a sudden have a funny thought and laugh out loud
2. old couples who are still obviously in love [not unlike this couple, on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France]
3. having friends all over the world
4. sitting next to someone good on a plane
5. big raindrops
6. babies fresh from the bath
7. sneaking out without getting caught [not that I ever did this]
8. catching snowflakes on your tongue
9. the mountains of Virginia
10. a really comfortable bed

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie, I don't know what's going on, but I hope things turn out well.

Melanie said...

Thanks, lydia. I hope so too, and I'm sure it will all work itself out eventually.

I've got my eye on your blog for the big news - I think I know what it might be!

Anonymous said...

You are worth it, Melanie.

You have always been kind to me and I've always found you to be funny in invisible world!

I'm hoping you're feeling a bit better today and things are looking up.

Melanie said...

Thanks, La. That really means a lot to me.